Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I'm not Cave Johnson

I picked up Portal 2 on sale this week and started in on the single player almost immediately. I have to say, while the game is good, it's just not the same as the Portal we all loved from The Orange Box. Things feel a bit too "on-rails" versus the first game. The jokes seem forced in some areas, and even though I'm not done with the single player, I just don't think I am going to be as satisfied as I was with the original game upon completion. Hopefully the co-op addition can make up for that, most people have suggested it does.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think the game lives up to the hyperbole being spouted by the gaming press/review sites so far? Or do you think that perhaps the media has gotten a bit too caught up in the hype surrounding a well-respected developer and lost the ability to comment objectively on the game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's a bad game.

    I don't think it's better than the first game.

    Do I think journalists sometimes get caught up in the marketing of games? Sure. They are people. Do some great games sometimes slip under the radar of the journalists, absolutely.

    I think anyone who seriously wants to argue that Portal 2 will still be a Game of the Year contender at the end of 2011 either doesn't expect any other blockbuster games to come out this year, or is wearing some Valve-colored glasses. It's a good game, probably even a great game experience. But it offers little to no replay value once you solve the puzzles. Something I felt the first one did better by pushing you to find the fastest possible way to solve the puzzles. I don't feel like anything along those lines was brought into this adventure around Apature.

    ReplyDelete